Thursday, October 6, 2011

Discovering Guitar (10-4-2011) Entry #2

“In a time when everything can be next day and ordered and put on credit and paid for, music to me is promise, all promise, very little realization. It's the promise of walking into a room with a guitar and not being sure you will leave with an idea that will take, not being sure it won't slip away from you.” - John Mayer.


It's true... you just never know with music. One minute you're on fire, the next cold as ice.  I am happy to report that in a world brimming with instant gratification, there are still things that are valued higher than all the rest. If you don't believe me, try writing a song... try to learn an instrument. You will soon realize what I am talking about. See, I have LEARNED (much like a horse being smacked by a whip) that you can plan your course, set goals, choose themes, but something will always change in that process... morphing right before your eyes and ears... which for me, is one of the most titillating and most challenging experiences. But the hard work does pay off and the reward is priceless. 


Now, can someone please call Mary Poppins? Cuz I'm about to need a spoon full of sugar to swallow a heaping dose of my own medicine...

Have you ever noticed how the word learned has the word "earn" in there? Well, let's just say I didn't earn my gold star this week. I am about where I was last week. Practicing the same chords from the last entry. The positive thing is that I feel like my transitions are getting better :) And the best thing, was rearranging the chords and being inspired to write/sing lyrics to it. Now I really can't wait to be able to play a whole song!

I did, however, look up some song tabs which is when I tried to barre an F chord... hahaha, now I know why it is called an F... apparently my fingers have to develop those muscles.

 F Barre chord
Barre your 1st (index) finger all the way to the 1st fret. Then place your 2nd (middle) finger on the 2nd string 2nd fret, 3rd (ring) finger on the 5th string 3rd fret and 4th (pinkie) finger on the 4th string 3rd fret.



More to come next Wednesday 10/12/11,

XOXO Joanna Pearl 




No comments:

Post a Comment